Friday, February 27, 2015

Confessions of a Social Media Junkie - 2 Rehab Apps

Ouch! Today's topic is a bit painful!  If you've been following along, you know I'm working on personal productivity with the 15 Days to Freedom Blog Challenge.  Today's topic is digital distractions...

Confession:  I love technology.  I love the internet.  I love information at the tips of my fingers via my smartphone. I love social media and being connected to literally thousands of people every minute of the day.  I just do!  

That's no surprise to anyone who knows me personally.  This next one will be a shocker, only in the fact that I'm admitting it! LOL!

Confession:  All of that stuff totally distracts me from productive, money-making tasks!

There, I said it! It's out there!  I'm a social media\technology junkie.  Addicted even, yes (gasp), I'm addicted!  Ahhh...   I wish that felt good to say, but it doesn't because now I have to change my behavior, overcome my .... addiction.  

At least I'm not alone!  There are others out there who are struggling just like me.  So many that, guess what?!   Yep!  There's an app for that!!  A couple actually!

Here's what I've done today:

  1. Installed Chrome Nanny on my workstation.  Chrome Nanny is a Chrome extension which can keep your browsing habits in check.  I set it up specifically to block Facebook for today.  I gave myself a window of time when it would be allowed (during lunch) and another 15 minutes every 2 hours.  I know that sounds like a lot, but I'm just not ready to go Cold Turkey yet!  Especially since I'm managing the Clutter Free page today.
  2. Installed Focus Out on my phone, which basically works just like Chrome Nanny for your phone.  You can set up blocks for specific apps and specific time frames. 

Honestly, I'm feeling a bit defeated having to have the apps to control my compulsive "checking".  I read one blog where the writer compared Facebook to the fridge.  Even though you know there's nothing there that wasn't there last time, you keep opening it and peering in.  

I have already noticed I'm more productive and I'm much more focused on the things I need to do or post within my allotted 15 minute window.  

Some other recommended apps:

Anti-Social - a social network-blocking software that allows you to avoid distracting sites.
Freedom - MAC app that completely blocks the Internet from your computer for a set period of time.
RescueTime - track online activity and presents you with a readout at the end of each day.

So, be honest, do you need a Digital intervention?

No comments:

Post a Comment